Assignment #11

Oppression means cruel or unjust treatment that is prolonged. The difference between violent resistance and non-violent resistance is that in violent resistance you react in a negative way, harmful & destructive and in non-violent resistance you react peacefully and and positive to try and prove a point. Agency is the ability to determine the outcome of one’s own life. I think that people should use non-violent resistance to gain agency because you would be able to prove a point and people would actually step up and listen to the things that you have to say.In the documents that I will be use using in this essay, the people use non-violent resistance by giving speeches and protesting arguing about what the want to prove, holding up posters creating chants and making their way to  make that change happen.

To begin with in this document it gives examples of non-violent resistance. Dr. M.L.K was giving speeches in order to get people to be on his side of the argument. The information that I would be getting is from an article titled “The Other America” delivered by Dr. Martin Luther King at Grosse Pointe High School on March 14th, 1968. The information provided here seems to be trustworthy because it gives good information about the speech and it provides reasoning on what he’s trying to prove. In the document it says “But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning intolerable conditions that exist in our society.” Which explains that he’s not just giving this speech to get people to understand what he’s trying to prove, he’s also trying to make that change happen and he’s trying to come up with solutions to change the riots and try to control the condemn riots because it is getting out of control.

In addition, in another document a girl was shot in the face for protesting and trying to find ways for girls in her community to get into school. This document also shows an act of nonviolent resistance because she had the choice to seek revenge but she did not because she felt like as in it was unnecessary. This is “An excerpt of a speech given by 16 year old Malala Yousafzai to the United Nations General Assembly on July 12 2013” . The information here seems like it can be trusted because it gave really good detail and it gave clarification on her actions. In the document it says” Even if there was a gun in my hand and he was standing in front of me, I would not shoot him. This is the compassion I have learned from Mohamed, the prophet of mercy, Jesus Christ and Lord Buddha. This the legacy of change I have inherited from Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela and Mohammed Ali Jinnah.  This is the philosophy of nonviolence that I have learned from Gandhi, Bacha Khan and Mother Teresa. And this is the forgiveness that I have learned from my father and from my mother. This is what my soul is telling me: be peaceful and love everyone.” Which is an example of non-violent resistance because she did not want to seek revenge from the man who shot her in the head. She just kept thinking to herself “be peaceful and love everyone” and so she kept fighting and protesting, giving speeches, and trying to prove her point, she wasn’t giving up she still was trying to make that change happen when she was finished recovering from the gunshot and she prove her point by acting polite, giving this speech and being brave by being watched by many on live camera.

At last, my personal research assingment on LGBTQ marrage is an example of non-violent resistance because they had no control over what the marriage can be as, like in the system or not in the system. In a document I read it talked about how marriage works, like how it gets into the system, what systems that it goes to in particular and stuff like that. I read it in an article titled “The Most Detailed Map of Gay Marriage in America” By Quoctrung Bui Sept. 12, 2016. In this document it says “One reason it’s hard to get a fix on the marriages is that detailed marriage records are not tracked at the federal level. They’re managed by counties and states, which report the count of marriages and not much else.” Which made me think that they can protest in a non-violent way because then it can prove a point, it almost seems unnecessary to protest violently when you can still get married just it would be counted in a different way like i don’t see a reason to protest negatively because you wouldn’t prove anything.